Dear Gill,

I don't think there is any question about the fact that on average M2s are larger than M1s, and this will affect all their measurements, including crown height and width. The point, however, is whether this difference is sufficient to distinguish the two teeth biometrically, when found isolated. In my view the answer to that question, on the basis of the work we did at West Cotton, is negative.  Of course, the largest M1/M2s in the range will obviously be M2s and the smallest M1/M2s will certainly be M1s. However, if we are intersted in looking at population trends I don't think that to operate in this way will provide a satisfactory solution to the problem. In fact I think that this solution would be worse than the problem. Size-wise the biometrical distributions would result to be completely biased, with the lower range of the M2s and the upper range of the M1s being completely omitted. Age-wise the problem would be less serious but the risk of a biased distribution would remain, as culling patterns may be related to animal size (whether this is associated with sex or not) and as consequence the neglection of certain size groups may also artificially obliterare some age groups.

By the way, the West Cotton material included very little goat so, despite the possible occurrence of the odd goat tooth cannot be discounted, the distribution provided in Fig.13 is unlikely to be much affected by the confusion generated by the mix of the two species. We did not attempt to identify the actual molars as this report was completed before the publication of the paper by Halstead et al. in JAS. And, in any case, identifications based on loose molars would have probably be insufficiently reliable.

Best wishes,
Umberto