Hello all

This email relates to Paul Boag's recent question around Mobile & Higher Education.

I am currently writing a report for the JISC Observatory (http://blog.observatory.jisc.ac.uk/about-the-jisc-observatory/) on the delivery of institutional web content and services to mobile. The report will look at the growth of mobile and the importance of addressing this when it comes to optimising the content and services that institutions serve visitors to their websites.

I'm based at the University of Bolton and our web stats show that there was a 56% increase in visits to the Uni website from mobile devices over the last year. What would be really helpful for my report is being able to collect the same stats from as many places as possible to highlight this trend.

So…I would like to ask for your help please. I would be most grateful if people could supply me with some figures from your own institutions. Simply:

* How many visits to the institution website over the last year
* How many from mobile
* How many the year before

I'm not really that concerned with devices or operating systems, etc…simply the web.

If you're interested in this area of work please do feel free to ask me any questions and perhaps suggest the kind of things you would be interested in the report covering too. It's not going to be an overly technical report but will look at issues like:

* Current state of the "mobile web"
* Mobile browsers
* HTML 5 and friends
* Useful technology frameworks (i.e.. jQuery Mobile, HTML5 Boilerplate, etc)
* Approaches to design and development such as responsive web design
* 'Mobile First'

There will be some stuff on the whole 'web v. native' discussion around mobile apps but I don't want to get bogged down to much in that area. I have covered some of the key points of that topic in my CETIS Briefing Paper – Mobile Web Apps (http://blogs.cetis.ac.uk/mark/2011/03/02/mobile-web-apps-a-briefing-paper/)

It would be great to hear from you if you can help me out with some stats.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Power
JISC CETIS