Surely what we are not doing, Walt, is presupposing or implying evaluative judgments? I thought what we doing was *reporting* evaluative judgements - and such judgements are important, because they are one of the things which lead to cross-cultiral miscommunication. And we need to understand these judgements so we can analyse where they come from and then try to combat them, not least amongst our students, and in our writing.

Peter Trudgill  FBA
Prof. of Sociolinguistics, Agder Univ., N;
Adjunct Prof., RCLT, La Trobe Univ., AU;
Prof. Emeritus of Eng. Linguistics, Fribourg Univ, CH;
Hon. Prof. of Sociolinguistics, UEA, Norwich, UK

New book: Sociolinguistic typology: social determinants of linguistic structure and complexity. OUP. 2011.