Finally, I hesitate ever to underestimate the importance of class in British society. I wouldn’t be surprised if the English (at least) middle classes self-imposed a regime of manners that was influenced by (perceived) upper-class norms during their attempts
to climb into social prominence, after having been perceived as noisy/gauche, so that such norms might have been transmitted more effectively from a small dominant group than actual speech patterns, which rely on face-to-face interaction (at least, then).

This doesnt seem likely to me. It is not probable that the middle classes would have perceived the upper-clss norms so inaccurately. It's much more likely to be to do with working-class solidarity, collectivism and an egalitarian ideology*, which is also what seems to me to be behind the Australasian "tall poppy" syndrome
and the corresponding Scandinavian "Janteloven" - see   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jante_Law.

*(Stephen Fry reckons that the British class system actually has the consequence that no one is actually supposed to behave as if  they were any better than anybody else.)

The Variationist List - discussion of everything related to variationist sociolinguistics.

To send messages to the VAR-L list (subscribers only), write to:

To unsubscribe from the VAR-L list, click the following link:
http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=VAR-L&A=1