Finally, I hesitate ever to underestimate the importance of class in British society. I wouldn’t be surprised if the English (at least) middle classes self-imposed a regime of manners that was influenced by (perceived) upper-class norms during their attempts
to climb into social prominence, after having been perceived as noisy/gauche, so that such norms might have been transmitted more effectively from a small dominant group than actual speech patterns, which rely on face-to-face interaction (at least, then).

This doesnt seem likely to me. It is not probable that the middle classes would have perceived the upper-clss norms so inaccurately. It's much more likely to be to do with working-class solidarity, collectivism and an egalitarian ideology*, which is also what seems to me to be behind the Australasian "tall poppy" syndrome
and the corresponding Scandinavian "Janteloven" - see   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jante_Law.

*(Stephen Fry reckons that the British class system actually has the consequence that no one is actually supposed to behave as if  they were any better than anybody else.)