Just to clarify - I have never actually done any such work myself.
Peter

On 20 Nov 2011, at 18:05, Brian MacWhinney wrote:

Dear VAR-L,

     The discussion of cultural differences in communication style and intercultural communication patterns is a topic that is certain to never go away; and, as globalization progresses, it becomes increasingly important.  The idea in the Goddard-Haugh project of studying actual naturalistic recordings is a great one.  Without such grounding, we would have to rely on weak measures such as self-evaluation inventories.  But if these recordings are not made public, along with the interesting analyses they engender, then it seems to me we can fall back into a closed circle of stereotypes.  Even if the stereotypes end up having validity, I think multiple researchers coming from different perspectives need to be able to see how these forces play out in individual segments and dimensions of face-to-face interaction.
    More generally, have people like the Scollons, Kasper, Tannen, Trudgill, or others famous for their work on such issues ever made data available (password-protected or whatever) that would allow other researchers to see these patterns?  The creation of such public materials for sociolinguistic analysis is the theme of an upcoming LSA workshop on "Sociolinguistic Archival Preparation"  (http://www.lsadc.org/info/meet-annual12-sociolinguistic.cfm).  It seems to me that the time has come for sociolinguists to take the issue of data-sharing seriously.
   Are there already projects out there (preferably with associated media) that are willing to open up their data for general use by researchers?  I have composed a general list of materials of interest to sociolinguists – some open, some not – at this URL: http://talkbank.org/SocioBank.  The corpora there listed as in TalkBank are freely available.  Those in LDC are available, but only to paying subscribers.  Many of the others are not easily available.  If any of you know of any materials I could add to this list, or corpora that can be shared, please tell me.

Many thanks,

-- Brian MacWhinney, CMU  [log in to unmask]