And while I think of it, some of Deborah Tannen's work very much supports what Paul said about the diversity of the US in that she compares the verbal behaviour of New York Jewish speakers and Californians (I think thats right? Im away from my books) and analyses interactional problems there.

Anyway, thats quite enough from me.

Peter Trudgill  FBA
Prof. of Sociolinguistics, Agder Univ., N;
Adjunct Prof., RCLT, La Trobe Univ., AU;
Prof. Emeritus of Eng. Linguistics, Fribourg Univ, CH;
Hon. Prof. of Sociolinguistics, UEA, Norwich, UK

New book: Sociolinguistic typology: social determinants of linguistic structure and complexity. OUP. 2011.

The Variationist List - discussion of everything related to variationist sociolinguistics.

To send messages to the VAR-L list (subscribers only), write to:

To unsubscribe from the VAR-L list, click the following link:
http://jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=VAR-L&A=1