This is all very true, and has been commented on anecdotally and informally many times - see my book "Coping with America: a beginners guide to the USA" (Blackwell). As far as academic discussion is concerned, yes, there is that too by scholars working in e.g. the ethnography of speaking and inter-cultural communication etc., though I've no idea how systematic it has been. No doubt people more knowledgeable than me will be providing references very soon. But I would like to ask: is this just the US vs the UK, or is it rather the US vs, well, most other places?

Peter Trudgill