From: Variationist List on behalf of VAR-L automatic digest system
Sent: Tue 08/11/11 00:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: VAR-L Digest - 3 Nov 2011 to 7 Nov 2011 (#2011-101)

Topics of the day:

  1. Clueless sign language linguist collecting spoken language data (2)

Date:    Mon, 7 Nov 2011 12:57:33 +1100
From:    Adam Schembri <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Clueless sign language linguist collecting spoken language data

I'm putting together a grant application to continue work on corpora of
Australian Sign Language (Auslan) and British Sign Language (BSL), but I'm
also wanting to collect a small digital video corpus of spoken Australian
English and co-speech gesture as a point of comparison for my sign
language work. I will be filming all interactions using a high definition
digital video camcorder, but as I've never collected spoken language data
before and would like this data to be useful for possible spoken language
variation projects in the future, I wondered what colleagues would
recommend in terms of audio recording equipment to be used in addition to
the video? I'm hoping to film Australian English speakers in pairs or
groups of 3. I believe solid state recorders are the way to go, but would
appreciate any advice that anyone would care to offer, as I'm completely
newbie when it comes to spoken language data collection.
Cheers,
Adam
--
Assoc. Prof. Adam Schembri, BA DipEd, MLitt, PhD
Director | National Institute for Deaf Studies and Sign Language
|http://www.adamschembri.net/webpage/Welcome.html

------------------------------

Given that you'll be working with combined audio/video for this, I'd
recommend an external mic through the video. That will save a lot of hassle
in aligning speech/visual streams and should be good enough for your
purposes.
Claire

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Adam Schembri <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I'm putting together a grant application to continue work on corpora of
> Australian Sign Language (Auslan) and British Sign Language (BSL), but I'm
> also wanting to collect a small digital video corpus of spoken Australian
> English and co-speech gesture as a point of comparison for my sign
> language work. I will be filming all interactions using a high definition
> digital video camcorder, but as I've never collected spoken language data
> before and would like this data to be useful for possible spoken language
> variation projects in the future, I wondered what colleagues would
> recommend in terms of audio recording equipment to be used in addition to
> the video? I'm hoping to film Australian English speakers in pairs or
> groups of 3. I believe solid state recorders are the way to go, but would
> appreciate any advice that anyone would care to offer, as I'm completely
> newbie when it comes to spoken language data collection.
> Cheers,
> Adam
> --
> Assoc. Prof. Adam Schembri, BA DipEd, MLitt, PhD
> Director | National Institute for Deaf Studies and Sign Language
> La Trobe University | Melbourne (Bundoora) | Victoria |  3086 |  Australia
> Tel: +61 3 9479 2887 | Fax: +61 3 9479 3074
> |http://www.adamschembri.net/webpage/Welcome.html

-----
Claire Bowern
Associate Professor
Department of Linguistics
Yale University
370 Temple St
New Haven, CT 06511
North American Dialects survey:
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~clb3/NorthAmericanDialects/

End of VAR-L Digest - 3 Nov 2011 to 7 Nov 2011 (#2011-101)