You know, watching this whole conversation, i'm reminded of an image
from GraphJam a while back:

http://graphjam.memebase.com/2010/05/14/funny-graphs-american-european-culture/

For those who don't wish to click through the link, it's a Venn diagram
titled "American and European Culture". There's a red circle and a blue
circle that almost entirely overlap, with the overlap labeled
"Similarities", and lines leading from the bare slivers of non-overlap
to a label reading "Sources of constant internet trolling".

Lots of truth there, given my experience in the US and continental
Europe, though i'll readily admit my personal experience doesn't extend
to the United Kingdom.

--
David Bowie