Culturally, some of this may begin with training in childhood. An oft-
repeated aphorism when I was growing up was "Children should be seen
and not heard", which was quoted as having applied (in the US) up
through post-Victorian times. When I was in Taiwan, and heard a noisy
child in a restaurant, I never even had to turn around to know that it
was an American. Chinese children are usually very quiet, as are adults.

NB: Let us be mindful of Damien's earlier request that in responding to
posts, we not include every previous post on the thread, which includes
every previous post on the thread, which includes every previous post...

  Rudy Troike
  University of Arizona
  Tucson, Arizona USA