Nancy Modiano once reported to me (p.c.) an informal tally she did at a
conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on American Indian education, with
attendance as follows: Anglos were 20%; of the remaining 80%, 20% were
Puebloan, and 80% were Navajo (Southern Athabaskan). In a discussion session,
the Anglos talked 80% of the time, and of the remaining 80% of the time,
Puebloan teachers talked 80% of the time, and Navajo talked 20% of the time.

I have had the opportunity to spend time living in places as diverse as Turkey
(3 years), Mexico (3 years), and Taiwan (1 year), and working, visiting, or
traveling in other countries of the Near East and Latin America, and throughout
Western Europe, as well as our neighbor, Canada, and in almost every country I
have had the occasion to find myself embarrassed by the loud and obvious
presence of Americans, but never of Britishers. Even those who decry
stereotyping nevertheless usually concede that it has some foundation in
observable fact. While not all members of a population behave uniformly, it is
usually 'marked' behavior which attracts attention. While I know that not all
of the Americans I encountered behaved so noticeably, enough did to make it
easy to stereotype them.

Rudy Troike
Professor Emeritus
Department of English