Hi David,

> FTS is file transfers? Could someone give me a step-by-step usage of
> these scripts, especially their arguments, which I can pass on to our
> end users? The recipe they're following is pretty much what's at the top
> of
>   http://wiki.egee-see.org/index.php/Quick_User_Guide_for_Submitting_Jobs
>
> What should the step(s) be between job-submit and job-output:

I assumed that you want to summit a job via WMS instead of using FTS to
transfer files, if this is the case, you might try following steps to submit
long running job.

- To create a long time proxy certificate on a myproxy server here assuming
you are using RAL myproxy server

$ myproxy-init -d -n -voms pheno -s lcgrbp01.gridpp.rl.ac.uk

Above command will create a 7-day (default, can be changed with "-c hours"
option) proxy certificate with pheno voms attribute

Alternatively, create a *short-live* vmos proxy certificate first and then
create a *long live* proxy certificate on myproxy server:

$voms-proxy-init -voms pheno

$myproxy-init -d -n -s lcgrbp01.gridpp.rl.ac.uk

- To check short-live proxy certificate (this certificate is on your UI)

$voms-proxy-info -all

-To check whether the *long-live* proxy has been successfully created (this
certificate is on the myproxy server)

$ myproxy-info -d -n

Make sure you have a valid *short live* proxy certificate before run above
command, otherwise you won't be able to authenticate yourself to the myproxy
server

-To prepare your jdl file, make sure to add following attribute to your jdl
file

MyProxyServer = "lcgrbp01.gridpp.rl.ac.uk";

The above attribute is **very important**, it will tell the WMS proxyrenew
damon to register your job in its internal DB so that it will monitor the life
time of the proxy and renew it before it expire

-Now you are ready to submit the job in a normal way

$ glite-wms-job-submit -o jid yourjob.jdl

The WMS renew service will take care of the proxy renew for you.

Please give it a go and let me know if it works for you.

Cheers,

Mingchao