Nope. Those are two independent questions. You'd be fine then.

However, keep in mind that you don't need a significant pre-post to get a
significant correlation.

On Wednesday, November 30, 2011, Mario Gatica <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> Thank you for your answers.
>
> Donald, in answer to your point, I used a contrast showing the difference
in activation between the two sessions (Post-Pre). The two sessions were
modelled in the 1st level design.

> One further question if I may, to clarify this. Would it also constitute
double dipping if one extracts the data from around a peak of activation
for the main effect (size of pre-post difference) and correlate this with
other variables, such as psychophysics? In other words, is any such
selection procedure always circular, or is it so only if one uses as a
selection criterion the same variable one is testing (in this case
correlation with performance)?

> Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Mario Gatica
>

> On 29 November 2011 22:31, MCLAREN, Donald <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> A couple of points:
>> (1) It is unclear what went into the second level analysis, pre or post
images, the difference in pre or post, or one of the images.
>> (2) It is very circular, you have searched the data to extract, rather
than pick an area a priori to extract the data.

[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>> Dear SPMers,
>>>
>>> I would like to ask for an opinion concerning the statistical validity
of an analysis I did.

>>> I have pre/post experiment where subjects are scanned before and after
an intervention, in order to compare changes in activation. During the
scanning sessions subjects were just passively stimulated. This main effect
was very robust.

>>> In addition to fMRI I also did psychophysical testing (outside the
scanner) and I am trying to find correlations between changes in
performance and changes in activation.

>>> I followed the straighforward approach of doing a 2nd level design with
the changes in performance entered as a covariate (1 value per subject) and
then the contrast "0 1" or "0 -1", as the case may be, limiting the
analysis to the postcentral gyrus with a mask (about 1000 voxels). With
this design, no voxels survived multiple comparisons correction, so I tried
progressively more relaxed thresholds until activation appeared (usually
with an uncorrected p of 0.05).  I then  made a spherical mask around this
coordinate and extracted the mean raw data from the individual conn* images
used in the group analysis (around 30 voxels), and used these to do a
Pearsons correlation test outside of SPM (with the psychophysical data),
which was positive.

>>> My question is, is this a valid thing to do at all or is the analysis
biased? On the one hand, the correlation done outside of SPM  was strongly
significant and made sense theoretically. On the hand, this does smell like
biasing the analysis. Of course such a thing would not be valid when
testing the main effect of interest. Does that also hold for correlation
with an external variable (such as behavioural performance)?