Compiling the mex files is most likely only necessary if you want to
run older versions of SPM with newer hardware and operating systems.

However, I compile SPM every time we do a major operating system
upgrade (linux).  It only takes a few moments and it insures that all
the mex files are compiled using the current Matlab and local
libraries.

In your case you need to setup mex.  See

http://www.mathworks.com/support/tech-notes/1600/1605.html

For instructions.

Dennis