Hello,

Note that the current R2011b documentation for fileparts() is wrong:
http://www.mathworks.fr/help/techdoc/ref/fileparts.html
http://www.mathworks.fr/help/techdoc/rn/br_bpq8-1.html#bsdnyvb-1

> Note
> The fourth output argument of fileparts (file version)
> is no longer supported and has been removed.
> Calling the function with more than three output
> arguments generates a warning and will error in
> a future version.

R2011b generates *actual errors* for a 4th output argument to fileparts().

R2011a just emits a warning.

I don't have R2010a to check but the documentation states that "the fourth output of fileparts, versn, will be removed in a future release".
http://www.mathworks.fr/help/releases/R2010a/techdoc/ref/fileparts.html
http://www.mathworks.fr/help/releases/R2010a/techdoc/rn/br_bpq8-1.html#bsdnyvb-1

Example with R2011a (empty lines trimmed):
>> version
ans =
7.12.0.635 (R2011a)
>> [pathstr, name, ext, versn] = fileparts('/path/name.ext')
Warning: The fourth output, VERSN, of FILEPARTS will be removed in a future
release.
> In fileparts at 35
pathstr =
/path
name =
name
ext =
.ext
versn =
     ''

Example with R2011b (empty lines trimmed):
>> version
ans =
7.13.0.564 (R2011b)
>> [pathstr, name, ext, versn] = fileparts('/path/name.ext')
Error using fileparts
Too many output arguments.