Dear Stephen,

> I would like to be able to export the first-level contrast images
> (cons/COPEs) from an existing SPM8 analysis into FSL so that I can use the
> threshold-free cluster enhancement (TFCE) implemented in FSL's randomise
> routine.
> What would be the best way to do this?

You just need to get all of the con* images into a single 4d file,
which should be fairly easy using fslmerge.  I believe fslmerge does
file globbing (i.e. using the *), so if all of your first-level
analyses were in the same top folder, you could run something like:

fslmerge -t allcon0001images */con_0001

which would give you a single 4d file called "allcon0001images",
containing one con_0001 volume for each subject.  (As with most FSL
functions, you can type "fslmerge" without any arguments to see the
usage/help for the function.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jonathan