For information for SPA members. Apologies for cross-posting

Caroline Glendinning

From: Arild Foss (ESRC, PCD) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of ESRC enews
Sent: 24 November 2011 13:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Newsletter from the ESRC

Dear Professor Glendinning

We would like to highlight the monthly ESRC newsletter eNews (below), which may be of interest to members of the Social Policy Association. The newsletter includes funding opportunities, corporate news and other relevant information for social scientists, with embedded links in the headings for more information. Further information and previous issues of eNews are available at http://www.esrc.ac.uk/enews.

Please feel free to forward this email to Association members.

Subscribing to eNews:

Please email [log in to unmask] with 'Subscribe' in the subject field, and include title, name and full postal address in the email.

Best regards,

Arild.

Arild Foss

Senior Communications Manager - Copy Editor

Economic and Social Research Council

Polaris House, North Star Avenue

Swindon, SN2 1UJ

Tel: 01793 442846

Email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

www.esrc.ac.uk <http://www.esrcsocietytoday.ac.uk>

Image removed by sender. enews-banner-img.jpg

Image removed by sender. enews November 2011 Latest news for the Economic and Social Research Council

 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCMT-1/c.aspx> Celebrating the social sciences

A new video and booklet showcasing the impacts of social science research were launched at our flagship Festival event, ‘Celebrating the social sciences’. The video includes eight case studies of research making a difference - with the booklet highlighting an additional 11 cases.

 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HC6L-1/c.aspx> Funding opportunities

*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCMU-1/c.aspx> Connected Communities Programme
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCMV-1/c.aspx> ESRC professorial fellowships 2011-12
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCMW-1/c.aspx> Digital Social Research Community Activities Funding
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HLOL-1/c.aspx> RCUK Digital Economy Theme: Invitation to apply to participate in Sub-theme Workshops and Networks
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCMX-1/c.aspx> DFID-ESRC Growth Programme - call for Expressions of Interest for Directorate Function
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCMY-1/c.aspx> UKDS Census support service

 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HC6L-1/c.aspx> More funding opportunities

  _____

 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCMZ-1/c.aspx> Advanced Training Network

Our new Doctoral Training Centres are opening up their advanced training courses in key areas of strength to all social science students registered for a PhD and based at any higher education institution in the UK, as part of the new Advanced Training Network. Over 400 courses are available for the academic year 2011/12 with bursaries to support access.

  _____

 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCN0-1/c.aspx> Britain in 2012 - out now

Our annual newsstand magazine Britain in 2012 is on sale, offering readers a concise analysis of research and topical issues concerning Britain today. It is available from WH Smiths Travel and High Street shops, Waitrose, M&S, Waterstones, and online through our website.

  _____

 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HL7G-1/c.aspx> ‘Segmenting publics’ research synthesis – available online

The Segmenting publics research synthesis has been completed and is available on our website. The synthesis examines methods and tools for audience segmentation in the area of public engagement.

  _____

 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HC6X-1/c.aspx> Latest research features

*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCN2-1/c.aspx> The university effect
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCN3-1/c.aspx> Raising low aspirations is vital to reducing povertys
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCN4-1/c.aspx> Seven billion - and counting
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCN5-1/c.aspx> Paytime at the top
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCN6-1/c.aspx> Fibre-optic hopes for East Africa
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCN7-1/c.aspx> Age discrimination: a serious UK issue
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCN8-1/c.aspx> Taxing banks: the best solutions

  <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HC6X-1/c.aspx> More features

 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCN9-1/c.aspx> Society Now – autumn issue

The Autumn issue of Society Now is published on 25 November. The magazine takes a look at high-profile economic and social issues, with main features focusing on the causes of the summer 2011 riots, the recession and how to encourage growth, and the euro crisis, risk and regulation.

  _____

 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HL7H-1/c.aspx> Secondary Data Analysis Initiative

This new £10.8 million initiative is now being finalised – please see our website for the advance specification, information on a 1 December networking event and data confrontation workshops.

  _____

 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCNB-1/c.aspx> 18,000 participants in Festival

The ninth Festival of Social Science is estimated to have reached at least 18,000 participants nationwide. With events both in major cities and smaller communities, this year’s Festival had over 130 free events.

  _____

 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCNC-1/c.aspx> Round 5 of ESS - data available.

The dataset for Round 5 (2010) of the European Social Survey (ESS) is now available to download free of charge. This survey round has in particular examined Work, family and well-being, and Trust in criminal justice.

  _____

 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HC77-1/c.aspx> Events

*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCND-1/c.aspx> 24 November: Welfare markets and household income protection in England and Scotland
*	28 November: Introduction to BHPS using Stata
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCNE-1/c.aspx> 29 November: Introduction to Understanding Society - the UK Household Longitudinal Study
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCNF-1/c.aspx> 1 December: Looking back, looking forward: celebrating six years of the Research Information Network
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCNG-1/c.aspx> 8 December: The role of older citizens in community building
*	 <http://dmtrk.net/XZA-M234-4OC2ZE-8HCNH-1/c.aspx> 12 December: Big Society - a critical reappraisal