Dear SPA member,

Have you ever wondered how social media might help you join social
policy debates, communicate with like-minded people, or take your interests and
findings to a wider audience; but don’t know where to start?

In the Winter/Spring issue of Policy World (published in
early February) we will be devoting a section to the use of social media.  As well as providing an introduction to the
world of Twitter, Facebook, blogging and more, we also hope to feature the real
life experiences of first-time users as they familiarise themselves with these
increasingly popular media.

Could one of them be you? We’re not looking for a big
commitment  – just a little time spent exploring
an area that interests you, and then writing a short piece on how you have
found it.  We won’t expect you to have
changed the world, but we will be keen to learn whether you found the media easy
to use and worth the effort.

And you needn’t be alone. Guided by Nicki Senior, who is in
the process of developing a practical introduction to the use of social media
for the Association, we can help you to find both people and discussions
relevant to your area of interest, and deal with any technical aspects.

If you would like to be one of the SPA’s ‘social media
guinea pigs’, simply send me an email by indicating your subject area and any
topics in which you have a particular interest.
Whilst we will only be able to use reports from a limited number of
participants for reasons of space, we will of course do our best to help
everybody who would like to have a go.

I hope this idea appeals, and look forward to hearing from
you.

With best wishes

Chris Blunkell

Editor