Here are the quotations for this weel (Sept 30th to Nov 5th):

1. ... I hear a thud in the engine-room. Then the noise of machinery falling down—like fire-irons—and then two most awful yells. They’re more like hoots, and I know—I know while I listen—that it means that two men have died as they hooted. It was their last breath hooting out of them—in most awful pain. Do you understand?’

2. ‘Now, you wouldn’t think, would you’—he glanced off the book toward my wildly swaying dressing-gown on the door—‘that I’ve been seeing things for the last half-hour? ’Fact is, I’m just on the edge of ’em, skating on thin ice round the corner—nor’east as near as nothing—where that dog’s looking at me.’

3. An’ then I saw—I tell you I saw—Auntie Armine herself standin’ by the old dressin’station door where first I’d thought I’d seen her. He was lookin’ at ’er an’ she was lookin’ at him. I saw it, an’ me soul turned over inside me because—because it knocked out everything I’d believed in.

The sources of last week's quotations (Sep 23rd to 29th) are as follows:

1.  (''...You'll be seein' Mr Godsoe soon ? …Well then, tell him from me that I expect to be through with my little trouble by the twenty-first of next month,..") This is from "A Madonna of the Trenches" in Debits and Credits.

2.  ('…Come spring , I 'ad something else to rage for. I'd growed a nasty little weepin' boil, like, on me shin, just above the boot-top...')  This is from "The Wish House" in A Diversity of Creatures.

3.  (...In the middle of his singing he felt the cold touch of the Crab's claw on the apple of his throat...) This is from "Th4e Children of the Zodiac" in Many Inventions.

In the New Readers' Guide we have just pun;ished nnotes on "Morning Song in the Jungle".

Good wishes to all

John R