Narrowing lanes and the freight vehicle fleet

All

If you are looking at the width of lanes, you may be interested in the range of deviation that trucks normally make from the centre of the wheel tracks. The following is an extract from a paper that we have recently published. As you can see, Ronald Blab has done some work on this. Of course, if you reduce the lane width, you can assume that there will be less deviation in the transverse position.

Eugene OBrien

University College Dublin

The transverse location of the wheel is assumed to follow a Laplace probability distribution [21]. In field measurements, Blab and Litzka [21] used this distribution and found different standard deviations for the transverse position depending on rut depth. Their findings are presented in Table 2.

Table 2 – Statistical properties of transverse wheel position

Rut Depth (RD)

Mean (μ)

Standard deviation (σ)

RD < 10 mm

0.4 m

0.3 m

10 mm < RD < 15 mm

0.4 m

0.2 m

15 mm < RD < 20 mm

0.4 m

0.1 m

The histogram of transverse position (track number) for σ = 0.1 m, is illustrated in Fig. 8.

Fig. 8 Frequency of transverse position (tracks are 100 mm apart)

[21] R. Blab, J. Litzka, ‘Measurement of the transverse distribution of heavy vehicles and its effects on the design of road pavements’, Proceeding of the Fourth International Symposium on Heavy Vehicle Weights and Dimensions’, Ann Arbor, 1995.