Announcing PSP Summer Institute on Critical PAR June 4-8, 2012

hvhv

Critical Participatory
Action Research
Summer Institute
June 2012

You are invited to apply to The Public Science Project’s 2nd Annual Summer Institute on Critical Participatory Action Research at The CUNY Graduate Center.

The Summer Institute on Critical Participatory Action Research is a 5-day intensive training designed to introduce the theory, methods, and ethics of critical participatory action research (PAR) to graduate students, faculty, and members of community-based organizations.  Through seminars, roundtables, and hands-on workshops with experienced PAR researchers, participants will gain the necessary skills and knowledge to integrate a critical PAR approach into their scholarship, research, and/or organizing.

In the Summer Institute you will learn about:

  • the history, theory, method, & ethics of critical PAR
  • building partnerships with community & community-based organizations
  • creating conditions for meaningful collaboration within research collectives
  • designing critical participatory research with IRBs & community review boards
  • participatory approaches to methods and analysis: mapping, photo-voice, youth-generated surveys, interviews, focus groups
  • engaging the arts and performance as research tool

In addition, you will:

  • advance your current projects & develop new research ideas in a community of peers and experienced critical PAR researchers (both university & community based)
  • join a diverse international network of critical participatory action researchers

The institute was both a great social and intellectual experience. I made colleagues and friends that I will have relationships with for the rest of my life, I learned information that will be valuable to me beyond the sphere of academia and I found parts of myself I never thought I would find this soon.”   -  Brett Cumberbatch, participant 2011 CPAR Institute

When
June 4 - 8, 2012
Where
The CUNY Graduate Center, NYC
Fees
Tuition for the week is $1000.
Limited scholarships are available.

Directors
Michelle Fine
María Elena Torre

The Public Science Project  has
been conducting and supporting critical participatory action research for over 10 years.  Dedicated to advancing a democratic social science for the public good, we collaborate with communities to design research and practice that examines the impact of policy and structural injustice.
Join us!

Who Should Apply ?
The Summer Institute is designed to bring together geographically diverse participants from universities and community based organizations.  We encourage  university-community research teams to apply.  Individual graduate students, faculty, and community workers are also welcome.  Applications are due January 15th.  Click here to fill out the on-line application
.

Also Announcing ...

PSP Institute on Critical Statistics
June 18 - 20, 2012

Advanced Critical PAR Institute
June 21 - 22, 2012

For more information contact:

www.publicscienceproject.org

Unsubscribe [log in to unmask] from this list.

Copyright (C) 2011 public science project All rights reserved.

Forward this email to a friend
Update your profile

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

--