Yes. Sort of grows on you.

MK

From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Blackford, Sarah
Sent: 2011-November-02 12:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] The Fascination of Plants Day - 18th May 2012

What a great idea!

http://www.hellomagazine.com/brides/200904171203/bridal/fascinator/spring/

From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sallie Robins
Sent: 02 November 2011 12:52
To: [log in to unmask]

Well off the top of my head why not make fascinators out of plants .....or has someone thought of that already!

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM, dee rawsthorne (TOC) <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Please help spread the word and forward this message to any groups or individuals you think may wish to take part and apologies if you get this more than once!

Fascination of Plants Day – 18th May 2012

The first international "Fascination of Plants Day" will be launched on 10th November 2011 under the umbrella of the European Plant Science Organisation (EPSO). The goal of this activity is to get as many people as possible around the world fascinated by plants and enthused about the importance of plant science for agriculture, in sustainably producing food, as well as for horticulture, forestry, and all of the non-food products such as paper, timber, chemicals, energy, and pharmaceuticals. The role of plants in environmental conservation will also be a key message.

Next steps

1.     Web site: www.plantday12.eu will go live on Friday 4th November  2011

To include your event on the UK home page please send reply with Institution name (s), date and time, place, event type, event contact person, web link to more information and if available, max 300 characters describing the event.

Disclaimer All events listed on this website / poster / flyer are the full responsibility of the local organization of the event. The organizers of the website at international and national level do not take any content-related or legal responsibility for the announced events.

2.     Press Launch: Thursday 10th November 2011 Embargoed 0700 CET

Press release I can forward to you if you want it and feel free to adapt for local use but please do not alter logo or basic information about the day. Let me know of any interest and press activity. If you are willing to talk to the press about your involvement let me know.

3.     Advertising: Corporate designs and logos are available for use

ESPO members will receive printed posters for display.

Designs are created in InDesign – please feel free to use on all advertising.

General information

Everybody is welcome to join this initiative! We invite you to organize for the 18th May 2012 a fascinating activity related to plants attracting and interacting with the public. We invite many others to join, ranging from schools to horticulture and anyone who feels to have a suited contribution to this initiative. Many plant science institutions, universities, botanical gardens, and museums, together with farmers and companies, have already announced that they will open their doors, with a variety of plant-based events for all the family. Also, the media are invited to join in, and scientists, farmers, politicians and industrialists will discuss with them and present the latest state-of-the-art research and breakthroughs in the plant science world and explore all of the new potential applications plant science can offer.

The Fascination of Plants Day will be backed up by a range of events in public spaces, theatres, cafes, central city squares and parks designed to get everyone thinking about plants.

In the UK the following have signed up so far: Natural History Museum, a Cambridge Plant Science Grouping including SAPS, the University, Sainsbury Lab and many more, Durham schools, Teacher Scientist Network, John Innes Centre, SEB, RHS, Glasgow Botanic Garden, Norfolk Wildlife Trust, University of Nottingham and Cardiff, and many other expressions of interest which we will be following up in the next few weeks so we can start to populate the UK web page.

We have contacted many more national and local (East of England) organisations but please do not assume we have reached everyone and if you know someone who works in a plant related field (excuse the pun!) then please forward and encourage them to take part, even if it is just advertising the fact it is happening!! Why not link up with others in your region to create a greater impact.

Watch out for further announcements including who the official Patron will be……………

PLEASE DO NOT FEEL YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING NEW FOR THIS DAY - SIMPLY BRANDING AN EXISTING EVENT UNDER THE BANNER WOULD BE GREAT TO HELP RAISE AWARENESS OF HOW IMPORTANT PLANTS ARE.

Please do get in contact if you want to know anything else.

Thank you

Dee

Dee Rawsthorne, PhD| Outreach Coordinator| Norwich BioScience Institutes| Norwich Research Park|Norwich NR4 7UA | Direct Line: 44 (0)1603 251457 Fax: 44 (0)1603 255168| E mail: [log in to unmask] Follow me on Twitter @Rawsthorne

www.ifr.ac.uk   www.jic.ac.uk  www.tsl.ac.uk www.tgac.ac.uk

The Institutes are members of the Norwich Research Park www.nrp.org.uk

Need a meeting venue? Visit www.venue-norwich.info

Want to find out first hand what's going on in world leading science research centres then join for free Friends of the John Innes Centre and IFR in the City http://www.jic.ac.uk/corporate/friends/index.htm

Are you a former employee, student, post-doc or project leader? If so, make sure we have your details on our Alumni Database and keep up to date with news from John Innes  http://www.jic.ac.uk/corporate/friends/alumni-association.htm

www.plantsandus.org.uk - Plants and Us - an innovative new charity devoted to promoting understanding about plants and plant science