Hi all,

I thought some of you might be interested in the IOP's latest outreach campaign, 'Thank physics for that'. We’re running a social media campaign as part of it and would gladly welcome any participation on Twitter from psci com members.

The project aims to get people thinking about how technologies such as the internet, smartphones, GPS and MP3 players have changed our lives in recent years, and how ultimately none of these would be possible without our understanding of physics.

To this end we've distributed 50,000 beermats in pubs across Brighton and Hove (starting Monday 14 November), where they can be seen for approximately 4 weeks. The beermats feature multiple choice questions such as 'How many cassettes would you need to tape all the songs on a 32 GB MP3 player?' and four different designs are available- see http://www.physics.org/thankphysics. Pub goers can find out the answers by text message or by scanning a QR code on the back of the mats.

A list of participating pubs can be found here: http://bit.ly/btonmap

 To increase awareness of the campaign and engage a wider audience than just Brighton residents, we'll also be running a social media campaign on Twitter (using #thankphysics) and Facebook to spark discussions about technology.

As part of this, we are going to ask open ended questions on Fridays and try to get as many people as possible involved. The aim is to get people talking with friendly topics and then to use this as a hook to promote some of the web content we have created for the campaign and encourage further discussion. The four questions we will be asking are:

-          Fri 18 Nov: What's the first album you ever bought and what format was it in?

-          Fri 25 Nov: If you could track anyone (or anything) using GPS, who would it be?

-          Fri 2 Dec: If you could have an app for anything (no matter how ridiculous) what would it be?

-          Fri 9 Dec: What's the first website you visit in the morning? (tbc)

You can stay updated on the campaign by following us (@dotrythisathome). If you’d like to get involved please feel free to retweet our questions and answer them yourselves using #thankphysics. Your support is very much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Alex

Alexandra Cheung
Outreach Officer
The Institute of Physics
76 Portland Place, London W1B 1NT

Tel: 020 7470 4867
www.physics.org
www.twitter.com/dotrythisathome

This email (and attachments) are confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender, delete any copies and do not take action in reliance on it. Any views expressed are the author's and do not represent those of IOP, except where specifically stated. IOP takes reasonable precautions to protect against viruses but accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from virus infection. For the protection of IOP's systems and staff emails are scanned automatically.”

Institute of Physics Registered in England under Registration No 293851
Registered Office:  76/78 Portland Place, London W1B 1NT

********************************************************************** Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive, can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html You may also change your settings and subscribe/unsubscribe to psci-com from the web site.

Psci-com is part of the National Academic Mailing List Service, known as 'JISCMail'. It adheres to the JISCMail Acceptable Use Policy: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/acceptableuse.html and to the JISCMail guidelines for etiquette: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/etiquette.html

Email commands: 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

Please allow up to 24 hours for these commands to activate. Remember that you will need to send commands using the same email address that you used to register on psci-com. To contact the Psci-com list owner, please send an email to: [log in to unmask]