From: Practitioner-Researcher [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of aga yamin
Sent: 14 November 2011 11:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How can we improve universities' business performance?

Dear Susan, Graham, Lawrence and All
Susan
Thank you for sending paper invitation.
Lawrence
Thanks for your account. As you mentioned: In order to improve what “we” are doing, we need to change our values and our ways of knowing (starting with preschool and on to schools and then to universities). Currently our values (the way we all think and act) are dominated by Neo Liberal Capitalism, and, our ways of knowing are dominated by Positivism – and both are very difficult to change.
We value as Jack (1989) explains;  I am taking such values to be the human goals which we use to give our lives their particular form. These values, which are embodied in our practice, are often referred to in terms such as freedom, justice, democracy, (Peters 1966) and love and productive work (Fromm 1960).
We appreciate or disapprove Neo Liberal Capitalisms,  It is just a market-driven economy and social policy that empowers private sector to determine economic priories of the country. It does not dominate our values but create tension ( “I”)  between our values and  financial practices.
On the other hand, Epistemology focuses on validation and authentication of knowledge i.e. what is knowledge, how is knowledge acquired and how do we know what we know?  It means we have freedom to choose either positivism or subjectivism as long as we satisfy epistemological requirements.
However, we can still find out the ways of improving business performance of an educational organisation without sacrificing our values and research philosophies.
Graham
Thank you for your explanations.   As you commented: So were are we?   Trapped in an economic biased educational system where the core value is not education but immediate financial viability (not sustainability of the economy).
Unfortunately we cannot ignore the significance of resources for our survival. We also cannot disregard the importance of education. In Sustainability, economy and ecology are intermingled.   Immediate financial viability can provide a solid foundation to sustain long-term economy.
Our output is millions of students who are capable of textbook knowledge and nothing else.
In my point of view, It depends on an individual educator how he / she employs teaching and learning activities in the classroom and this is independent to an economic system or brand of an educational institute. As educators, we have freedom to generate textbook knowledge-based students or students with full capabilities of applying knowledge into practice and contribute in growing wealths.
 So where do I start?   I focus on the individual and the need of the individual and teach in a manner that allows the text book knowledge to be transferred in a more economical way so that I can focus on the “higher order” skills.    Why not use third years to mentor second years and those can mentor first years and you can teach the relationships between planning, monitoring and success through two sided debate rather than through one dimensional instruction
I think this is an excellent idea to allow senior students to mentor junior students. I am sure both will receive benefits.
Everything is measurable including behvaiour or even a conversation between two people. Furthermore, we are directly connected to the economy. Hence educational institutions performance has to be measured without compromising the quality of education.
So what sort of model we need to introduce in educational institutions that facilitates the economic growth, social growth and environmental growth of the organization to provide job security and avoid funding-reduction activities.
Regards
Aga