Both fiction *and all the reality we have -- without the prosthesis of
writing

Relatively recently I have seen someone losing their memory into a
constant present with less and less data; and disappearing as they went,
leaving just a smile on a good day

and I think back to nearly 20 years ago when I was faced with someone
fictionalising by fantasy her life and mine; and I kept a diary in self
defence. The diary was useful for keeping track of what my opponent, as
she became, was doing; but also showed me how I was reinventing my
memories without any malicious intent

Writing (et cetera) does alter this situation

On Sat, November 5, 2011 15:41, Douglas Barbour wrote:
> Wow, I certainly agree with you about memory, which I have been arguing
> is fiction for years...
>
> I get what youre saying about 'One must, I feel, bring in the action of
> mental perception.'  Admit that I tend to hope that's implied.... Still,
> your way is working well right now in what youre posting....
>
> Doug
> On 2011-11-04, at 9:41 AM, Lawrence Upton wrote:
>

>> Thanks for this, Doug
>>

>> I had an interesting exchange recently about a work in first process,
>> MEMORY FICTIONS, which I am trying out at the wf workshops with Tina
>> Bass
>> - they're 2 voice
>>

>> One who knows me saw the title and expressed a belief that it meant
>> nothing to him. I used to flee such situations, especially where there
>> is an element of pride (I don't understand that; just think how
>> normative that makes me) but that wasn't the case here. Now though I
>> engage with them, as I am learning something intangible...
>>
>> I do have a point to make! I'll get there
>>

>> I learned in that first expression, surprised that he did not know the
>> fictional qualities of memory. I pursued it and found he wanted to put
>> it all down to error. So I tried the brain's interpretation of optical
>> data.
>>
>> This seemed to be inducing quiet panic; and then I suggested that we
>> are our memories...
>>
>> It was not a satisfactory conversation
>>

>> I suppose I am having a bit of a chat with the concept of landscape
>> being inherently beautiful -- and there's an inverse view for advocates
>> of city scapes, which is one reason I have started adding city scenes
>> here
>>
>> One must, I feel, bring in the action of mental perception. One can't
>> just say what is out there, because it isn't! It may feel as if one is
>> just describing; just as now and then everything goes well and there's a
>> sense one has been inspired
>>
>> No, no, no, no, no as an ex British Prime Minister once said
>>

>> Ta for your continuing commentary. Today I consigned two to a reject
>> folder as unfit for you to see (tell the people what you've written
>> Lawrence) and I am going to see that as progress!

>> On Fri, November 4, 2011 15:17, Douglas Barbour wrote:
>>
>>> With each addition, Lawrence, a larger (I guess I'd have to say,
>>> philosophical) vision inheres. Here, even with the comic turn at the
>>> end, it's the 'commentary' (also seen in others) that pushes the whole
>>>  along...
>>>
>>> So I do see the whole, as it comes into some kind of focus, as
>>> definitely going to be more than the sum of its parts...
>>>
>>> (I'm thinking of the discourse in the 3rd stanza...).
>>>

>>> Doug

>>> Douglas Barbour
>>> [log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]
>>>
>>> http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/