Dear Victor,

thanks for clarifying what you mean.

Maybe this finally releases us of the unbearable
battle of interpretations about what you REALLY
mean.

By the way, there is an excellent PhD thesis from AUT:
Frances Joseph (2010) Mnemotechne of Design -
Ontology and Design Research Theories.

She is explicitly working with a concept mapping tool.

This is the beginning of my examiner´s report:

""Ontologies are human constructions that deny their constructedness."

		Klaus Krippendorff

Introduction
Frances Joseph´s thesis deals with the notorious
phenomenon of various more or less incommensurate
approaches / theories / terminologies / paradigms
/ ideologies / ... in dealing with design
research and methodology. Everyone who is
interested in meta-perspectives of design
research is familiar with this "problem". The two
standard reactions are either the forceful call
for unification or the more composed stance to
live with this plurality / mess. The candidate
adopts the latter viewpoint and goes a
considerable step forward: her intention is to
make this confusing collection of diverse
theories a usable and useful resource for future
design researchers. She calls this her
"mnemotechne-project" with menemotechne meaning
the art and/or craft and technology (!) of
memory. The three main research questions are:
- How can different ways of reflecting about
design research be understood in relation to one
another?
- Can the results of such understanding be used
to inform the organisation of information about
design research methodology?
- Can new computational systems and technologies
be used to support relational models of design
theories?
The author reports a shift in the course of
dealing with the subject from an early focus on
outcome (the design of a resource as a
conventional formally based database system)
towards process, strategy and methodology. The
phenomenon of interest turned out to be too
heterogeneous to be transferred into one single
unified model without destroying its complex
character. Therefore the author switched to a
hermeneutical analysis of theories. The system
design of the resource now served as a medium for
further exploring, developing and testing the
relational model of theories. The unified
syntactic model became a semantic "bridging and
mapping device" for the various models of
theories. The theories under consideration were
accepted in their respective singularity. This
was an important decision in Frances Joseph´s
research."

For further information you should contact the author.

Best,

Jonas

---