Ken,

Thanks for your message to the PhD-Design list. Yep, you're right: we need more hybrid practice/research people in education. As well as good practitioners, and good researchers.

The funny thing is that some fairly remote areas of commercial practice do value a PhD too. And it is specifically those areas that seem to need design imput most.

Examples are 'visual justice', 'visual economics', 'visual education', 'visual democracy', and 'visual science' and 'visual health'. Both the design of information in these areas as well as the systems themselves need to be reconsidered and redesigned. Most legal paperwork, financial statements, educational materials, ballot forms and instructions, scientific information, and medicines/care information as well as the underlying systems ('service design'?) could use some design help.

These professions are mainly governed by highly specialized and highly educated professionals - most of them have and value PhDs. They are unlikely to accept suggestions - or at least be very sceptical about suggestions - made by a non-PhD.

So, yes, we need hybrid practitioners/researchers in education. But we fairly desperately need the same people outside universities as well.

Kind regards,
Karel.