Hi Esra,
I think my research area is very close to yours. I ‘d like to share some of my book list, hope it can help you.

About Chinese housing history, text book:
Modern Urban Housing in China:1840-2000, Prestel, Peter G Rowe(Harvard University ), Lu Junhua, Zhang jie (Tsinghua University),ISBN 3-7913-2507-08

About Finnish housing history :
1.Model House for Model Families:Gender, Ideology and the Modern Dwelling the type-planned houses of the 1940 of the 1940s in Finland, Kirsi Saarikangas,1993,ISBN 951891565-2
2.The Dwelling,Gender and the Aethetics of Cleanliness in Modern Architecture ,Kirsi Saarikangas, 2003 ISBN 951746309X

About Japanese Housing history:
3.Housing in Postwar Japan - A Social History,Ann Waswo(Oxford University),Routledge 2002,ISBN 9780700715176

4.Witold Rybczynski’s Home-A short history of an idea is really good book, highly recommended, but it not especially targeting at housing.

You mentioned that also want some ideas of rooms, so this might be interesting for you:
5. At Home- A Short History of Private Life, Bill Bryson, 2010-5,Doubleday
Very thick book, it describes the history categorized by “rooms”, living room, bedroom drawing rooms etc, which might be useful for you.

Besides that, an old book might also interesting:
6. A treatise on domestic economy: for the use of young ladies at home and at school, Catharine E. Beecher(1856),reprint by Kessinger Publishing

A dissertation also good:
7. Couched in their own terms: What makes a living room?Talya B.Rechavi,2004 PhD dissertation of City University if New York

Some milestones in housing history:
Ancient Rome,Insula,5 floors, in Ostia (Fiume Tevere)area
1750, Bedford square,5floors terrace house, Britain
Royal Crescent, designed by John Wood, in Bath, Britain
1927, Weissenhof Housing Settlement in Stuttgart, which is dominated by Mies van der Rohe
1952, The Unite d’habitation in Marseilles, designed by Le Corbusier
1953, China imported the housing plan from Soviet Union
1960s-70s, Housing standardization worldwide.

Hope you can find something useful among those materials. Good luck for your research.
BR

Lei Wang
PhD Candidate, Researcher
School of Art and Design, Aalto University
Hämeentie 135 C, Helsinki,00560,Finland
Email: [log in to unmask]