Hi Toon,
Great topic and useful. The ways products are repurposed by users is an
interesting phenomena. There was some work undertaken for Xerox in the 80s
(by Leifer if I remember right) that distinguished between variance, variety
and variability in design. One of them refers to the wide range of unusual
ways and purposes that people use a product. The photocopier  is a good
example of unusual repurposing.
Some years ago,  based on work by J.C. Jones and J. Woollatt, some of us had
a related interest in exploring how people 'design their lives' by using
products often designed for other purposes. It potentially offered insights
into improving product design processes - which is I'm guessing where your
work is headed? There are some initial analyses and categories that might be
relevant for your research at 'Love, T. (2003). Customers' Use of Products
as Design Tools. In Proceedings of the 6th Asian Design Conference. Tsukuba'
(great conference) there is a pre-print at
http://www.love.com.au/PublicationsTLminisite/2003/product_design_tools.htm
)
A core  assumption in this kind of analysis is that 'a design' is a *set of
instructions* for making or doing something (not the thing or act itself)
and the 'activity of designing' is making such a set of instructions.
From this point of view, a person  only 'uses something as a design tool'
(i.e. designs)  if the result is they produce a *set of instructions*  (a
design)for making or doing something (changes to their life), rather than
simply making or doing something or changing their life.
Best wishes,
Terry