Deat Don

To become a bar-istor, in the good old days, you had to stand befor the bar for 16 yesrs.

This meant 16 years of practical experience.

I'm not so worried about the theory aspects of current degrees in Australia. My lawyer son got lots of practical experience.

The theory stuff is now vital to his work as he is required to draft new law as part of his every day work.

And yes, he  is in commercial practice.

Cheers

Keith

>>> Don Norman <[log in to unmask]> 21/11/11 2:18 AM >>>
Design may be concerned about how it educates, deliberating between
the two poles of theory (aka research) and practice, but consider law.
 Here is a wonderful article about the failures of modern law
education in the USA, where professors know lots of theory but nothing
of how law is actually practiced.

From the 20 Nov. 2011, Sunday New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/business/after-law-school-associates-learn-to-be-lawyers.html

I could write the same article about Business Schools.  Actually, many
have complained that this situation applies to Engineering Schools as
well.

Design is still very practical. The challenge to those of us who want
more theory and breadth is to avoid falling into the legal trap that
is described in the article.

(That previous paragraph is especially important to people like me.Yes
we need to broaden design education for the 21st century, but the
primary goal is to produce practitioners.  As universities more and
more require that design professors have PhDs and publish erudite
articles in refereed journals that are read only by other erudite
professors, we must not lose track of our craft.  Yes, I am talking
about me, among others.)

Don Norman
Nielsen Norman Group
KAIST (Daejeon, S. Korea), IDEO Fellow