Dear David,

I like you account of information design and way finding and I would
like to offer a little gloss on two points.

1) Decision Points:  I recall, as a child, the moment when I discovered
why the cows did something funny when they got to the bottom gate, they
would line up and take turns at rubbing against a tree trunk. This was a
very complex decision point that required them to go a little out of
their way. You couldn't hurry up the process without causing twice the
wasted time.

2) "the actual path people travel": interestingly, the word "method"
can be analyzed to mean "the actual path travelled". Which gets us back
to my earlier offering of "drift".

Research is as much about way finding as it is about destinations.

cheers

keith

>>> "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
11/08/11 12:11 PM >>>
At 20:20 03-11-2011, jeremy hunsinger wrote:
> There is a design concept or an architectural term that means 'the
path that people walk, not the path they were supposed to walk.  So as
designers, we design a way for people to proceed through a space, but
people as a whole wear their own path that is different'

In the field of information design, which includes
wayfinding/waygiving, some of us have been working in this general
territory for a while. The way I would normally describe this is to say
that we work in the dynamic space between information and people. It is
what goes on in that space which is the focus of our research rather
than what goes on in the design or in people's head (or feet).

I tend to think of this as a dance rather than a walked path. The
designer is like a choreographer, but the object of interest is the
resultant dance. In wayfinding the critical 'steps' are around decision
points: places in the landscape where people make decisions about their
next move. Note that it is the people in the landscape, not the
designers who make the decisions about the next move.

Wayfinding is a very primitive skill with a long evolutionary history
across many species. Human wayfinding predates and lays the foundation
for story telling, navigating documents and, more recently, navigating
web sites. In all of these the object of interest from an id research
perspective is not in the waygiving, story, document or screen per se,
but in the interaction between these things and people: the actual path
people travel rather than the path they are given in the design.

I have written a number of papers on this, but an easy introduction is
in a paper about the relationship between readers, text and
illustrations in instructional text:
http://communication.org.au/publications/practical-advice/between-text-and-illustration/46,29.html.

Enjoy!

David
--

blog: www.communication.org.au/dsblog
web: http://www.communication.org.au

Professor David Sless BA MSc FRSA
CEO * Communication Research Institute *
* helping people communicate with people *

Mobile: +61 (0)412 356 795
Phone: +61 (0)3 9489 8640
Skype: davidsless

60 Park Street * Fitzroy North * Melbourne * Australia * 3068