H Di

I don;t have any specific links but when i do an asthma case i always run
through the UK Asthma Societies flags for poor control:

-Flags for poor control (ref Asthma UK -refer back to GP):

·       Waking at night with coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath or a
tightness in the chest: Yes/No

·       time off work because of asthma: Yes/No

·       difficulty breathing, and breathing short shallow breaths: Yes/No

·       increasing need for reliever treatment: Yes/No

·       Reducing perceived effect from reliever: Yes/No

·       Using reliever more frequently than every four hours: Yes/No

·       Decreased stamina to usual level of activity or exercise: Yes/No
If there is any of these I send back to the GP for assessment. In the
workplace at this time of year, in the absence if significant changes to
the environment, I would suggest she may have picked up a cough or cold
virus if it is a day time cough; the cough can linger for quite a few weeks
after the virus has resolved due to residual  inflammation of the airways.
They are more prevalent in winter because of less fresh air and the office
becomes a virus laden petri dish! All you can recommend is

Cough, cold and flu viruses are prevalent during autumn/winter months due
to increased time indoors and windows being closed against cold weather.
Virus droplets (spread by sneezing and coughing) and spread for over a
metre and lay active on surfaces for up to 24 hours. Frequent hand washing
and surface wiping are the main barriers to transmission of viruses
therefore to help reduce contamination (and potential absence) Management
may wish to consider:

·       Putting up posters encouraging hand washing e.g
http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@[log in to unmask]

·       Providing materials (e.g. hard surface wipes) for daily wiping down
of work surfaces that are commonly touched (e.g. desks, keyboards,
telephones door handles,  etc.)

Hope that helps

Carr

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: