From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Tracy Turner
Sent: 24 November 2011 11:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Car driver - back pain

Your advice please

I have an employee who reports a long history of back pain and percieves
that the company vehicle exacerbates the condition. I assessed him in
the vehicle and he was using a 2inch cushion to help manage the
symptoms. This made him higher and therefore had a blind spot with
vision. It was recommended that he had an alternative vehicle and he had
many to chose from. All reportedly hurt his back after 20 minutes
driving. Then he was allowed to go above his allowance and found a
vehicles which did not hurt his back VW Transported. As this is a van
and not a car it is not permitted by the company. Please also note that
the individual does report to surfing as is improves and strenthens his
back and this is an ideal vehicle to carry surfing equipment (am I being
synical). I gave HR a list to go by when chosing a car which would be
suitable;
 Car selection checklist
Test drive 	Yes
Have you test driven the car? 	*
Has the test drive lasted at least two hours? 	*
The seat
Does the driver's seat have independent tilt adjustment? 	*
Does the driver's seat have independent height adjustment? 	*
Are the seat adjustment controls easy to use? 	*
When you have adjusted your seat are you able to reach the pedals
without stretching? 	*
Does the back rest reach your shoulders? 	*
Does the back rest provide support along the length of your back?
*
Is your lumbar curve supported without any points of pressure or gaps?
*
Do you have enough leg and head room? 	*
Does the seat length put pressure on the back of your knees or calves?
*
Is the head restraint positioned close to your head? 	*
Is the head restraint height near the top of your head? 	*
Are you able to get in and out of the car easily? 	*
The steering wheel
Is the steering wheel centrally located? 	*
Does the steering wheel have the following adjustment features:
*
In/out? 	*
Up/down? 	*
Tilt ? 	*
Do you have full view of the display panel? 	*
The pedals
Are the pedals centrally positioned? 	*
Is there a left foot rest? 	*
Is there plenty of room for you to rest your left foot? 	*
The boot
Does the car have adequate boot space for you to store equipment or
other items? 	*
Are you able to easily access your boot without obstruction, for
example, from the parcel shelf, or the boot lid itself? 	*
Does the boot have a low or flat sill height? 	*
Does the boot have a narrow sill depth? 	*
Does the boot have handles to facilitate closing? 	*

The car Verso Toyota ticked all the boxes but after 15 minutes in it the
employee is saying his back pain has returned and he needs a cushion. In
myopinion I dont think he should be driving at all but he is ademant he
can in the old car with the cushion or in the VW Transporter. I keep
going round in circles with this one as we all seem to be. Should in
your opinion it shoudl now just be left to HR to sort out?? Or can I get
any more professional help to assist regarding car ergonomics?? Any help
as always appreciated. Thank you.

********************************

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government
Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide
in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.)
In case of problems, please call your organisation's IT Helpdesk.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or
recorded for legal purposes.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: