From: Narrative Inquiry where social science meets art [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Suzanne Hacking [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 11 November 2011 02:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: I have a queer feeling!

Hi, yes it does seem intuitive that if you know people and they know and trust you, they should be aware of the issues, however, they might not be, especially when it goes beyond the individual.  One of the reasons we have ethical submissions is that the individual researchers may not consider all of the issues, because they may not appreciate the wider issues themselves whereas a disinterested group has a variety of perspectives and can at the least act in an advisory capacity.  I know people know this but we don't always think through the whole situation for the people concerned, not deliberately, but especially if we have a self interest.   For instance, say someone was investigating a closed group, say whose comparitive poverty of circumstance didn't usually expose their own practices or attitudes to a wider critical view.  If there was some clumsy handling of expressed feedback, it might expose the group to a different perspective, that illuminated limited horizons; it could be quite a shock and actually destroy the trust of the community of interest, it could allow people to escape that poverty but what if there were no avenues for escape, or in order to escape they had to cross some boundary that they wouldn't have understood the reason before - it's not just is that ethical? but what is the potential effect and is that justified by the research knowledge gained.

I know I've just launched into this from lurking... Sue.