Dear Jo and NI,

I think psychometrics are interesting from a narrative standpoint. A couple of good texts are Nikolas Rose’s Governing the Soul... and Lock and Strong’s Social Constructionism.

Rose’s thesis uses a Foucauldian discursive framework to argue that the development of the Psy disciplines emerged from, and made sense within, the need to have new modes of social and personal regulation, espec triggered by WWII. So, in this context psychometrics developed as a means of ensuring good job-person fits and, eg, to make sure that people diddn’t crack under pressure. And of course IQ tests, then, later, in my ex-discipline the psychometrics of  empirically-grounded psychotherapy, and so on.

So, from this position psychometrics are a product of social construction, as opposed to ‘measuring’ something that really, essentially and foundationally exists – although realists would no doubt disagree with this.

Lock and Strong cite people like Harre and Shotter who argue in a similar vein: Harre, in particular, I recall argues for the absurdity of regarding what is essentially a discourse (story) a (socially constructed)  template for measuring reality in a postpositivist sense.

That said, psychometrics can be useful. The Beck Depression Inventory, for example, is a pretty good tool to triangulate the narrative of a depressed individual in my view.

Best,

Alec