Dear all,

Here's another question of liturgical usage I can't make up my mind about.  I have a 12th century monastic sacramentary that includes a number of interesting and unique items, including (the ones that I'm interested in) items related to Holy land pilgrimage and commemoration of the Holy Sepulchre.  My question is about the "Oratio ad dandam crucem ante altare his qui cupiunt pergere ad Ispaniam." "and the "Ad dandam et his qui vadunt in Ierusalem" My first thought was that this was for monks going on pilgrimage (yes, I know that's its own tricky issue), but then I wonder if it wasn't used by monks to bless laymen (or women) going on pilgrimage.The texts themselves don't give me any obvious clues ("frater").  There's obviously narrative examples of men getting their departure blessings from abbots.  So, now I'm of the mind that this **doesn't** have to do with pilgrimaging monks, but has to do with the monks' spiritual role for the community (a.al Marcus Bull, etc.)

But I haven't entirely convinced myself yet.  I suppose I just want to run it by any of you who have any thoughts about this. (The ms is Avignon BM 178; see Leroquais I: 254-256).

Thanks, as ever,
cecilia