From: Dr Jim Bugslag <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [M-R] Walter de Gray and dragon
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, November 4, 2011, 8:07 PM

A slightly earlier sculpted example can be found on the trumeau of the St Anne Portal, the right-hand portal on the west facade of the Cathedral of Notre-Dame in Paris, where St Marcellus jabs his crozier into a dragon's mouth (the original is now in the Cluny Museum, and a 19th-century copy is in place on the portal).  There may be two components to this sort of image.  One is Christ treading on the lion and dragon, referring to Psalm 90.  The other is the Psychomachia of Prudentius, in which images of virtues battling vices came to depict them as the standing virtue spearing the defeated figure of vice below.  I'd certainly be interested in further perspectives on this.
Cheers,
Jim