From: George Brown <[log in to unmask]>

> My elder son was born on the Feast of St. Augustine, so he's named Austin;
but my younger son was born on a day of no hagiographic significance,

that is the feast day of St. Noname, only celebrated in some of the more
obscure hollers of Southern Indiana.

(who actually knows someone named Noname, btw.)

>so we first  thought we'd call him Ćthelstan (=OE "jewel"). Luckily a fiend
immediately pointed out the nickname he would get on the playground, so we
changed it to Malcolm.  He likes that even though people often leave off the
second "l" in spelling it.

> GHB
>

> On Nov 29, 2011, at 9:03 AM, Kurt Sherry wrote:
>
> > medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
> >
> > Orthodox traditions vary considerably from country to country. Russian
tradition selects the name based on the birthday (some names, like mine, are
considered old fashioned, so there is a monastery in Ukraine that has
commemorated me with the mistaken idea that I am a priest). In Greek practice,
the first-born son is named for the paternal grandfather, the first-born
daughter is named for the paternal grandmother, the second-born son is named
for the maternal grandfather, etc. Serbian tradition uses patron saints for an
entire family (which commemorates the saint on whose feast the first Christian
ancestor was supposedly baptized), so individuals' given names are often not
even Christian. As far as I can tell, Arabs don't have a system--they just use
one of a handful of saints' names (mostly George and Miriam I don't know about
Bulgarian, Slovak, or Romanian tradition.

> > - Kurt

culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Christopher
Crockett
> > Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:55 AM
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: Re: [M-R] Feasts and Saints of the Day: November 29
> >
> > medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
> >
> > always pleasant to hear a story about a guy who 'ad 'is Priorities
Straight,
> > G.P.
> >
> > can you imagine the level of child abuse it would be to actually name a
child
> > "Barnabas"?
> >
> > enough to earn a fellow a Red Hat under St. J.P.
> >
> > the Mind Boggles.
> >

> > plus, my father was named "Gordon" (bornéd in August, however, so there
was
> > no real excuse, that i know of).
> >
> > his first name was "Archibald," so i suppose that means that Grandad
wasn't
> > entirely in the clear, abuse-wise. (he died way before i was bornéd, so
> > don't know what colour hats he was wont to wear.)
> >
> > but, his older brothers used to call him "Arch," which had a rather nice
ring
> > to it, as i recall.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]