From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [M-R] Feasts and Saints of the Day: November 25
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, November 26, 2011, 7:30 AM

On 11/25/11, Terri Morgan sent:

> Mercurius / Merkurios of Caesarea (d. c250)...

The Greek form of this saint's name is Merkourios.

>    The (ps)HM records for August 26 a Mercurius at Aeclanum in Apulia in eastern Campania.

Apulia of course is no more in Campania than Rhode Island is in New York.  The sentence from a post of 2005 that underlies this confusion read (<http://tinyurl.com/6prrj8w>):
"The (pseudo-) Hieronymian Martyrology records for August 26 a Mercurius at Aeclanum in Apulia, i. e. today's Passo di Mirabella, a _frazione_ of today's Mirabella Eclano (AV) in eastern Campania."  In late antiquity Aeclanum was in the Apulian part of the administrative region of Apulia et Calabria.  The borders of Italy's regions have changed and the locale in question is now in Campania.

>    Mercurius is also the patron saint of Seminara, part of the Greek-speaking west in the Middle Ages and the home of the famous fourteenth-century theologian Barlaam of Calabria. A fifteenth-century relief showing him mounted and spearing Julian the Apostate in the neck has been preserved at the Municipio of Seminara. A thumbnail reproduction of that is here: http://www.seminaraonline.it/images/Bd.036-Bassorilievo%20Comune.jpg

That link is dead.  I replaced it in 2009 with this one:

http://tinyurl.com/ybu54kl

Many of the links given by Terri for medieval portrayals of Mercurius also no longer function.  Those in the rather more generous selection in last year's notice (<http://tinyurl.com/78o5mwe>) still do.  In item g), the portrait in the church of the Peribleptos at Ohrid is probably late thirteenth-century (ca. 1295) and is by Michael Astrapas alone, as evidenced by his signature on Mercurius' sword <http://tinyurl.com/3k9x6ov>.  At item l) -- a fresco in the church of St. Demetrius in the Patriarchate of Peć -- a better set of dates would be between ca. 1317 and 1322.

Two further visuals:

Mercurius (second roundel from bottom in the arch soffit at right) as depicted in the mid-twelfth-century frescoes of the chiesa di Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio (a.k.a. chiesa della Martorana) in Palermo:
http://tinyurl.com/3essb65

Mercurius as depicted in the later thirteenth-century exterior paintings (betw. 1259 and 1264) of the narthex of the church of the Panagia Mavriotissa in Kastoria in northwestern Greece:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21711359@N08/3943580245/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21711359@N08/3944386152/

> Catherine of Alexandria

>    Catherine's body being carried thither by angels, as depicted in the Belles Heures of Jean of France, Duke of Berry (ca. 1407): http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/manu/hob_54.1.1_av2.htm

That link no longer works.  Use this instead:
http://tinyurl.com/7bpk539

>    Catherine in a tripartite scene (c1428-1430) said here to be by Masolino da Panicale, showing 1) her about to be decapitated, 2) her infant soul being held aloft by an angel, 3) angels at her tomb on top of a mountain (Sinai, presumably): http://tinyurl.com/35layt
>
>    Wall painting (thirteenth-century), Hailes Church (Glos): http://tinyurl.com/yucv7k The church itself:
>
> http://www.sacred-destinations.com/england/hailes-church.htm

A rather more generous selection of medieval portrayals of Catherine of Alexandria will be found in the latter half of last year's notice (<http://tinyurl.com/7585fua>).

A few further visuals:

Catherine as depicted in an earlier thirteenth-century fresco (1233/1234) from the chapel of St. Nicholas in the Spilia Penteli in northern Attika, now in the Byzantine and Christian Museum in Athens:
http://www.byzantinemuseum.gr/pictures/b_1950_1068.jpg
http://www.byzantinemuseum.gr/en/collections/wall_paintings/?bxm=1068

Catherine (at left; at right, St. Irene) as depicted in the earlier fourteenth-century frescoes (betw. ca. 1311 and ca. 1322) in the church of St. Nicholas Orphanos in Thessaloniki:
http://tinyurl.com/3wnopzz
Detail view (C.):
http://tinyurl.com/3qxhp35

Catherine (at right; at left, St. Augustine of Hippo) as depicted in an earlier fourteenth-century glass window (ca. 1340) in the entrance hall -- an enclosed porch -- of the Basilika Mariä Himmelfahrt at Gurk:
http://www.burgenseite.com/glas/gurk_glas_3.jpg

Catherine as depicted on one side of a fourteenth-century double icon from Veria (Imathia prefecture), now in the Byzantine and Christian Museum in Athens: http://tinyurl.com/6m2mv2b

Catherine as depicted in the later fourteenth-century frescoes (1360s and 1370s; restored in 1968-1970) in the church of St. Demetrius in Marko's Monastery at Markova Sušica (near Skopje) in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia:
http://tinyurl.com/3lmf88z

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]