On 11/23/11, Christopher Crockett   wrote:

> looking now at the broader context of the Mass of the Apostles scene in the
> apse, below the Theotokos (is that what it is?), i see that it "begins" with a
> procession along what would be the "choir" in a western building

Rather, the _Communion_ of the Apostles.

> http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066394_city-nonresonant0072.jpg
>
> http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066352_city-nonresonant0073.jpg
>
> the other apostles going to join in the Feast, with figures of sacred writers
> below, some of whose names should be legible --should anyone know how to
> read:

The figures below are bishops: each wears a pallium-like vestment called an omophorion (literally, 'worn on the shoulders'; a mark of a bishop).  Most are metropolitans and wear as a mark of their special rank a priest's tunic (phelonion) patterned with multiple crosses (the general pattern is called polystavron ['of many crosses'] and a tunic so patterned is often called a polystavrion).  Scenes of this sort are often called the Liturgy/Service of the Hierarchs (or of the Church Fathers); their participants engage in a service of their own, distinct from the Communion of the Apostles and (when both scenes are present) in a lower register from that of the latter.

> http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066403_city-nonresonant0075.jpg
Epiphanius of Cyprus

> http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066429_city-nonresonant0077.jpg
Gregory the Theologian (i.e. Gregory of Nazianzus)

> http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066337_city-nonresonant0079.jpg
John Chrysostom

> http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066419_city-nonresonant0080.jpg
Basil (the Great)

> http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066404_city-nonresonant0081.jpg
Athanasius (of Alexandria)

> http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066342_city-nonresonant0084.jpg
Nicholas (of Myra)

> immediately below the table of the mass, two angels (with flagellumes) flank a
> throne with a book on it and a white dove above the book
>
> http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066401_city-nonresonant0076.jpg
The Hetoimasia.  See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetoimasia

Best,