On 11/23/11, Terri Morgan sent:

> Clement I (d. c99) was a Roman and was martyred somewhere that wasn't Rome. That's all that's known for certain about him.

Those sentences come from Phyllis Jestice's post for this day in 2004.  It would be interesting to learn what credible evidence exists to support the assertions that it's known for certain that Clement was martyred and that this occurred outside of Rome.  For a somewhat different take on the matter and for many visuals, see last year's notice at < http://tinyurl.com/86x8ouk >.  That post's view of Clement as portrayed in the apse mosaics at Monreale becomes clear if one expands the image; a detail view of the upper part of the portrait is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/luciejacques/533532115/

A few further visuals:

Clement I (at left, with Sts. Hippolytus the bishop [of Portus] and Metrophanes of Byzantium) as depicted in the earlier fourteenth-century frescoes (betw. 1313 and 1318; conservation work in 1968) by the court painters Michael Astrapas and Eutychius in the church of St. George in Staro Nagoričane in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia:
http://tinyurl.com/3zpcevk

Clement I as depicted in the earlier fourteenth-century frescoes (betw. ca. 1314 and ca. 1320) in the church of St. Nicetas the Goth (Sv. Nikita) at Čučer in today's Čučer-Sandevo in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia:
http://tinyurl.com/3r9rdee

Clement I (at left; at right, the martyrdom of St. Peter of Alexandria) as depicted in a November calendar composition in the earlier fourteenth-century frescoes (betw. 1335 and 1350) of the church of the Holy Ascension at the Visoki Dečani monastery near Peć in, depending on one's view of the matter, either the Republic of Kosovo or Serbia's province of Kosovo and Metohija:
http://tinyurl.com/yjvkroz

> Sisinius of Cyzicus (d. after 325) In the Great Persecution, Sisinius was a confessor - he publicly avowed his faith, was arrested, and was dragged by wild horses but survived the experience. He attended the Council of Nicaea.

The name is usually spelled with two 'n's: Sisinnius.

> Gregory of Girgenti (Agrigentum or Agrigento) (d. c603).

The city in question wasn't Girgenti in Gregory's time and hasn't been since 1927, when that originally Arabic version of the city's name was replaced with the latinate Agrigento.  Continuing to call it Girgenti seems bad form.  Would one now use Christiana for Oslo or Pressburg for Bratislava?

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]