thank you, Matej.

how fortunate you are to be living so close (i assume) to such a wondrous work
of art --i wish i could come for a visit.

i have loved the the Nerezi frescoes ever since i first saw them (in low-tech
art books), over 40 years ago.

to me, their style is quite sublime.

in particular, the portraits by the "Nerezi Master" are simply without equal
in all of medieval art (east or west) in their power and expressiveness:

http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066533_city-nonresonant0131.jpg

http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066538_city-nonresonant0132.jpg

http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066534_city-nonresonant0127.jpg

http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066574_city-nonresonant0128.jpg

http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066610_city-nonresonant0139.jpg

http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066581_city-nonresonant0140.jpg

http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066585_city-nonresonant0147.jpg

http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066550_city-nonresonant0148.jpg

http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066202_city-nonresonant0022.jpg

even when they only consist of just a very few lines

http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066199_city-nonresonant0013.jpg

http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066239_city-nonresonant0015.jpg

just *look* at how Magnificent they are

http://www.orthodoxy-icons.com/uploads/posts/2011-04/1304066168_city-nonresonant0024.jpg

...even in their present somewhat degraded state.

someone should do a "digital restoration" of them to attempt to return them to
their original pristine brightness and clarity.

of course, it would be difficult to duplicate, digitally, the true effect
which they they must have had on their original viewers, when they were fresh
and new, seen in the dim and flickering light of candles and oil lamps,
softened by the hazy smoke from incense, in concert with the aural stimulus of
the chanted ritual offices --it must have been a positively Synesthesiacal
experience

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

we must never forget that we are, essentially, looking at a Ruin.

(despite my original inquiry, which started this [ill named, sorry] string, i
find Iconography alone to be really, really BORING compared to the aesthetic
experience of just *looking* at things like this.]

From: Matej Župančič              <[log in to unmask]>

> DEAR ALL, NEREZI IN REPUBLIC OF MACEDONIA (FOR SOME "FORMER
> REPUBLIC MACEDONIA OF EX YUGOSLAVIA"). "GORNO" MEANS "UPPER" AND SHOULD
> BE SLAVIC.... MATEJ
>
> CHURCH OF ST. PANTELEIMON (NEREZI)
>
> From Wikipedia,
> the free encyclopedia
>
>  [7]
>
>  [8] Church of St. Panteleimon.
>
>  [9]
>

>  [10] Pietà [11] in frescoes in St. Panteleimon.
>
> The CHURCH OF
> ST. PANTELEIMON in Gorno Nerezi [12], Republic of Macedonia [13], is a
> small 12th century Byzantine church located in a monastery complex. The
> church and monastery are dedicated to St. Panteleimon [14], the patron
> saint of physicians.
>
> The church was constructed in 1164 as a
> foundation of Alexius Angelus Comnenus, a son of Constantine Angelos and
> Theodora Komnene, a daughter of Byzantine EmperorAlexios I Komnenos
> [15].
>
> The church has a domed cruciform core, three apses [16] and a
>
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:20:08 -0500, Christopher Crockett wrote:
>

> > medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
> >
> > From: John Dillon

> > it's Greek,
> to me.
> > 00%">More likely Slavic of some sort, given other indicia on
> this website
> >
> > (www.orthodoxy-icons.com/ [2]). E.g., 'Perivlepty'
> rather than 'Peribleptos'.> in the list, send the message: join
> medieval-religion YOUR NAME to:
> >
> lto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] To send a message
> to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] [3] To
> leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to:
> [log in to unmask] [4] In order to report problems or to contact
> the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask]
> [5] For further information, visit our web site:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html [6]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:[log in to unmask]
> [...]