From: Christopher Crockett
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] marks in mss

From: Jean Luc Deuffic <[log in to unmask]>

> Il s'agit bien de l'ex-libris du duc Jean de Berry ... :

bien sûr.

> "Il aimait assez ses livres pour y tracer souvent un ex-libris de sa
> propre
main,

that's the question --whether or not the ownership inscription (and JEHAN
monogram) on the final page of the B.n. ms. is "in his own hand" (and, thus,
might be called a "signature").

>comme sur ce livre de Priscien: "Ce livre est au duc de Berry et
d'Auvergne, conte de Poitou et d'Auvergne et li donna le pape Climent de
Genève l'an mil CCC IIIIxx et VII" ... (Françoise Autrand, "Jean de Berry",
Fayard, 2000, p. 467). Ce manuscrit est aujourd'hui à la British Library,
Burney 275 :

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/record.asp?MSID=7568&CollID=18&NStart=275

on that page:

PROVENANCE...

....Jean, duc de Berry (b. 1340, d. 1416), a gift from Clement VII in 1387
(***ownership inscription written by Jean's secretary, Jean Flamel***, f.
2v;
ownership inscription and signature 'Jehan', f. 560v; his arms, edges).

the use of the word "signature" in that last line might imply that "Jehan"
was
written "in his own hand."

as in [<OED]

SIGNATURE:

3.a. The action of signing one's name; authorization or authentication of a
document, letter, etc., by signing it.

as opposed to what i take it to be, a

MONOGRAM, n.3:

1. A motif consisting of two or more letters, esp. the initials of a
person's
name, written together and usually interwoven, used as a symbol to identify
personal possession or to sign a work of art, etc.

all i'm saying is that the B.n. ms. has an "ownership inscription" [a.k.a.
"Ex
Libris"], accompanied by a JEHAN *monogram* --both in the same hand (and
ink),
one which is *very* close to that of the scribe who wrote the whole ms., and
probably *not* that of Jehan Berry.

and, thus, not a "signature" in the OED's 3.a. sense given above.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]