From: HenkADSL <[log in to unmask]>

> I'm sorry, Chris,

i know that.

but, was much too courteous to mention it.

>but that's not the same hand.

i am by no means the expert in this late Hen Scratching that you are, Hank,
but, lessee,

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b84497204/f402.zoom

the "e"s in "Ce Livre est au duc de Berry"

look identical to me to those in the last line of the text above.

the descender in the "s" of "est" has a bit of a curve to it --but that is
trivial.

i admit that the "t"s are troubling --simple verticals in the text above, a
hook at the bottom (what do you call that?) in the Ex Libris.

and it looks like there is a slight difference in the color of the ink between
the two --and perhaps also a difference in the cut of the plume.

being, essentially, Art Hysterical by inclination, i was going by the *shapes*
of the curved flourishes in the monogram and the descenders (of "g"s, are
they?) in the last line of the text.

(i have this weird theory that, if you could describe curves like that --or
the curves found in drawings or sculpture-- with a mathematical equation, you
could identify the "hands" who made them.)

probably Too Close to Call, for someone who is as Paleographically Challenged
as i.

>Which does not have to mean that it is the duke's signature.

no.

no, it doesn't.

esp. in view of the *fact* that it's *not* a "signature" --it's a Monogram.

>It might well have been written by his librarian.

could have been written by anyone (in 15h c. France), i suppose.

even by the scribe who wrote the text above.

>There were more Frenchies called Jehan...

you mean the Duck's librarian was named Jehan?

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]