On 11/01/11, Terri Morgan sent:

> All Saints

An expandable view (lower right) of the All Saints illumination in a late thirteenth-century copy of French origin of the _Legenda aurea_ (San Marino, CA, Huntington Library, ms. HM 3027, fol. 150v):
http://tinyurl.com/2f8wz5l

The All Saints illumination in a later fourteenth-century (ca. 1370) Roman Missal of north Italian origin (Avignon, Bibliothèque-Médiathèque Municipale Ceccano, ms. 136, fol. 279r):
http://tinyurl.com/6edcqwo

The All Saints illumination in a late fourteenth-century (1394) missal from Autun for the Use of Beaune (Dijon, Bibliothèque municipale, ms. 110, fol. 387r):
http://tinyurl.com/43bos4l

The All Saints illumination in an early fifteenth-century missal for the Use of Tours (Tours, Bibliothèque municipale, ms. 185, fol. 251r):
http://tinyurl.com/3jrkjng

The All Saints illumination in the early fifteenth-century _Belles Heures_ of Jean de France, duc de Berry (New York, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Cloisters Collection, ms. 1954 (54.1.1), fol. 218r):
http://tinyurl.com/69uqxxo

The All Saints illumination in a mid-fifteenth-century missal for the Use of Nantes (Le Mans, Bibliothèque municipale, ms. 223, fol. 201r):
http://tinyurl.com/3f3gr8n

For an expandable view of Caesarius as depicted in the later twelfth-century mosaics of the Cappella Palatina in Palermo, go to <http://squinchpix.com/dictionary.html>, type in <Cesarius> (without the brackets; note the spelling), and hit FIND.

> Mary, virgin and martyr (fourth century?) was a Christian slave. She served a Roman patrician, and when she disobeyed her mistress by fasting, she was whipped and given to a soldier for further abuse. She suffered horrible tortures before being allowed to escape by a him; although she later died a natural death, the Roman Martyrology deems her a martyr due to the sufferings she withstood during her life.

Well, the Roman Martyrology so deemed her prior to its revision of 2001.  The RM then ceased to commemorate her, at least under this name.  It's long been recognized that the early Passio of _Maria ancilla V. M._ (BHL 5422) is very similar to the Greek one of the Phrygian martyr Ariadne / Ariadna of Prymnessos, whom at least one synaxary notice says is also called Maria and whom the RM, without saying anything about this other name, now commemorates on 18. September (prior to 2001: 17. September).

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]