On 31/10/2011 23:51, Revd Gordon Plumb wrote:

> John
>
> Codswallop - and Joan Greatrex ought to have known better.
>
> See for instance:
> The Registers of Henry Burghersh 1320-1342, Edited by Nicholas Bennett,
> III, Lincoln Record Society (Boydell), 2011. p178 no.1993:
>
> "Dispensation to Thomas, son of Geoffrey de Stapelford, of York dioc. but
> originating from Lincoln dioc. (in Linc. dioc' oriundo), concerning the
> fact that he received the first tonsure and other minor orders from the
> archbishop of York or his suffragans, and ministered in those orders, without
> having obtained licence from his diocesan. Boughton, 24 November 1323."
>
> Who does she suppose administered such minor orders below acolyte?
>
> Nicholas's volume is a splendid one and well worth getting - plug for  LRS!

I rather imagine that she supposed that the Prior carried out the other
ordinations. I think the situation is muddied by the Priors claiming
pontifical status. She does give a reference to the Prior of Durham
receiving papal permission in 1456 for himself and his successors to
confer minor orders. Which doesn't help on the point at issue, of
course. I think she is working from the Episcopal Registers having
records of ordinations to acolyte for Cathedral Priory monks (usually
one year after profession.)

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]