----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Trevor Lockwood

Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: [cma-l] Making Media Matter?

I disagree with the suggestion that we should pussyfoot around to accommodate present government policies. After all government's are transitory, and will change tack like the Vicar of Bray - and that's no criticism of politicians. It is their job to reflect the wishes of the people - and it would appear there is a growing recognition of the separation between rich and the rest of us, let alone the poor.

That movement needs expression, as does the views of anyone else. Our job as community broadcasters is to provide a platform that allows anyone to broadcast. All we have to do is ensure that we abide by the broadcast code and regulations.

To suggest that anyone should be prevented from using our services is a very dangerous road to travel.

Do I tell presenters not to mention Tottenham Hotspur? Or ever suggest cooking tripe? Or to support and promote all government diktats?

If a reasonable case is presented - then a platform should be made available. If there appears to be disagreement then organise an online poll, allow phone-ins, encourage discussion.

Whatever is broadcast will be disliked by someone. I'm not keen on drum and bass - but we encourage all musical genres. Where would it stop if we started to discriminate?

Certainly do not denigrate a group by suggesting that they are not worthy, because they don't conform to your own bigoted beliefs.

Trevor