Fiona
I agree with everything you say. The launch of our eBooks service generated the highest number of unsolicited emails of praise we have ever received. We experienced a month on month increase in our eBook issues. However, I am totally frustrated by the restrictions we are having to work under and the public find the restrictions very galling. Probably that came through overly in my message!
David Tanner
North Yorkshire

From: Marriott, Fiona [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 03 November 2011 11:01
To: David Tanner; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Amazon launch eBook lending service in US

I know I may be coming across as Pollyanna, and I agree we have to look to the long term.

The new SCL eBook group is hoping to start a dialogue again with publishers, and to raise the profile of eBook lending nationally. There was a meeting on Tuesday in Bromley, which I know more people would have liked to have attended, but we will make information from the meeting available and keep people up to date with any progress or actions.

As far as we understand it, Overdrive Kindle compatibility is heading our way, although there is no "official confirmation" of this, or a date, but for Overdrive customers this may help with sustainability in the medium term.

For us, the backlist is proving almost as popular as the newer titles, but I recognise that this is not going to be sustainable in the long term.

I just feel we are in danger of coming across as totally negative about our eBook services, when many of us are experiencing real growth in this area and a real appreciation of the service from our customers.