1.      Emptying my mind …

May I just ask colleagues to take time to look at a piece which Voices for the Library have kindly posted at http://bit.ly/rOBXZn

We make little of the library providing non-fiction works and now, supported use of the web and e-resources. Around a third of books borrowed from public libraries are non-fiction; then there are music scores and sets (what about Wakefield?), homework resources, Reference Online, other e-resources, study support , Citizens’ information, remote access and so on.

We talk of the Information Society, the Knowledge Economy and claim a critical role for libraries in our future prosperity. We headline libraries as places for information and learning, where people meet and share ideas. They are the only open-for-free democratic space that we have; the only place where you don’t have to pay to stay.

This is true, yet we infrequently explore in detail or campaign for the information and learning side of the public library offer. Is there a concern for the range and depth of non-fiction coverage in your average library? We can reserve material; but we also want to browse and find, look around, be prompted by the books just being there. Are they there? There was a question on Lis-pub-libs a few months ago asking for ideas around non-fiction displays. I didn’t see the responses but it made me think. Going into the library you’ll see light stuff – gardening, food; there’ll be occasional stuff – Christmas, sport; there’ll likely be local history.

Does it go much further? Do any libraries have displays on politics or economics? Public finances? The political parties, government, citizenship, rights? Education, school, university education? Science, industry, manufacturing? Religion and philosophy? Important subjects in our time. The library is a place to find.

We display what we are asked to – planning applications, proposed changes to parliamentary constituency boundaries, college courses, but do librarians promote proactively? From topical subject to universal truths. What’s the market?

2.      Occupying my mind …

There must be a need. We have all read of the libraries that have been developed at the Occupy sites in New York, London and elsewhere. Whatever your politics they have shown that when people gather with a purpose they need to refresh, nurture, re-make their ideas.

There’s some fantastic you tube coverage: If you want to be uplifted, watch Eric in the People’s Library http://bit.ly/vgsMmq. If you want to feel low see the police removing the OWS People’s Library from Zucotti square http://bit.ly/sUKuAO . Now the Guardian Books blog tells Occupy London Library has two branches! http://bit.ly/ujLHLz .

I’m not suggesting that libraries are innately seditious or that public libraries should stir it up unduly but let’s get real. A free society cannot work without the free exchange of information and ideas; for the general community there is no other place for this. There is no other place for this.

Yes I wrote it twice. It needs saying again and again … over to you.

Thank you

John

John Dolan OBE

E. [log in to unmask]